- Dani Filth - Vocals
- Paul Allender - Guitar
- David Pybus - Bass
- James McIlroy - Guitar
- Martin Skaroupka - Drums
- Ashley Ellyllon - Live keys and Backing vocals
How Cradle of Filth became what it is.... The Beginning...
Cradle of Filth was formed in Suffolk, England in 1991. The band's original members consisted of vocalist Dani Filth, guitarist Paul Ryan, keyboardist Ben Ryan (Paul's brother), bassist John Richard and drummer Darren White. With this line-up, Cradle of Filth recorded a demo in 1992, entitled Invoking the Unclean. Soon after, they recorded their second demo, Orgiastic Pleasures Foul with new guitarist Robin Eaglestone (aka. Robin Graves). He left the band shortly afterwards, but following the departure of John Richard, Eaglestone returned to take his place as bassist. Guitarist Paul Allender joined the band at the same time. Following these changes, another demo was recorded, entitled Total Fucking Darkness. White left the band soon after, paving the way for the entry of drummer Nicholas Baker.
Invoking the Unclean (1992)Demo
1. Tonight we are speaking with the one and only Paul Allender of.
When Cradle first started, what was the goal for the band, and did you expect to still be going so strong this many years later?
Hi, The goal was to try and get it as big as we possibly could. There is no way we would have ever dreamed that we would still be around now.
2. Over the years Cradle of Filth have had a fair share of controversy. Is there any true evil behind the bands music and how do you digest and combat those who speak against you?
It happens to all metal bands,
Slayer, Venom etc. The easiest way is to just ignore them and they
go away. If you were to take to heart what everyone said about you
then I’m sure you would be a nervous wreck, haha. Anyhow, it’s all
free publicity if people don't like us.... thanks guys!!!!
3. Getting to the core of the music itself, over years past Cradle have released some monumental Metal albums that will always remain classics. Is there any particular album that you feel stands as Cradle's crowning achievement?
It’s hard to say because there all different, but being the main writer / arranger I think it would be Dusk and Her Embrace.
4. With so many ground breaking albums under your belt, what is the next big goal for Cradle of Filth?
Write another ground breaking album and to stay around for another 10 years!!
5. Would you consider going further into the arena of film making and movies maybe directing or writing?
I’ve thought about it, but for now I’m pushing my artwork. I’ve thought about doing some short films based around the concepts of my art.
6. In closing please leave us with any final thoughts or comments, and thanks very much for your time.
I just want to say thanks to
everyone who has been following the band. If it wasn't for you guys
we wouldn't be able to do what we do.